Total Pageviews

Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Great Butterflies in 2017

What a great year so far! I was given directions to a Jutta (Balder's) Arctic location in Michigan's upper peninsula. So I made a trip to the UP in early June to look for this specie. I found the arctic on June 3, 2017 in a Black Spruce / Tamarack bog on Fs 3141 - Thanks Todd Jones. It took about an hour before one came flying by. It finally landed about 5 minutes later and posed for pictures. An excellent lifer butterfly. 
Today, June 20, while at work, I saw a few Crossline Skippers and European Skippers. These marked my 61st and 62nd species for the year in Michigan. The Crossline Skippers were new to Ingham County for me. Many more skippers should be appearing in the next week.

Jutta Arctic - Oeneis jutta ascerta
June 3, 2017
Chippewa County, Michigan

No comments:

Post a Comment