Total Pageviews

Sunday, August 16, 2020

Lenawee County, Michigan, 8/15/2020

 

     On 8/15/2020 I took a trip to Lenawee County, Michigan. The main objective was to visit Riverside Natural Area (just north of Morenci) where I had Zabulon Skipper on 8/11/2018 and to look for Zebra Swallowtail (no luck). I arrived at the natural area around 11:30 and stayed until 12:15. While here 10 species where found, including Zabulon Skipper (photo below). It was interesting to note that I observed the skipper in the exact same area ( I'm talking within 3 feet) of where I found it in 2018.
     My next stop was on Mulberry Road on the west side of M-52, just north of Morenci. There is a bridge out sign. I parked at the bridge and walked the road. I quickly found 2 Hackberry Emperors. Along the road there were so many Silvery Checkerspots I lost count. My estimate was at least 30 individuals, but there could easily be 40 or more. I did notice a nice group of Pawpaw trees which are the host plant for Zebra Swallowtail.
     The last stop was Morenci sewage ponds. On a previous visit I had Meadow Fritillaries on the south side of the ponds, no luck today. I did find 9 species of butterflies here, including at least 25 Pearl Crescents and 1-2 Common Sootywings.
So, on the day -19 confirmed species and at least 136 individuals. In the mix were 2 other possible species - Viceroy and American Lady.
An excellent day!
Zabulon Skipper
Poanes Zubulon
8/15/2020
Lenawee County, Michigan
Riverside Natural Area.

No comments:

Post a Comment